Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Hunts - Day 28

It was REALLY hard for me to rally and make dinner tonight. I haven't gone grocery shopping for the week, nor have I made a shopping list, nor do I know what I want to cook this week. Is it "senioritis" for the last few days of cooking at home? Or, is it my subconscious Presidential election anxiety?

I peered into my refrigerator several times this afternoon before finally deciding on Thai red curry. This was a stretch. All I have for vegetables are carrots, celery, garlic, arugula, turnips, a sweet red pepper, parsley, and some sliced scallions. Seems like enough, but I would have liked an onion (even a 1/4 of one) or a shallot. I also had some chicken meat & brown rice. I pulled out my can of coconut milk & set out to cut my vegetables, not taking a moment to make sure I actually have red curry paste.

After I chopped the vegetables, Vincent and I headed out to an election party for an hour. We both ate lots of junk...okay, I did. He had some dried berries & a couple of chips that he only half ate. I also had a small bowl of Iranian soup that was yummy. We got home a little after 5pm, and I started cooking. Then, I looked for my curry paste...Not in the fridge. Shoot! That's right, I tossed it out when our old fridge died. I opted for some garam masala, and made a curry chicken fried rice. Since I was so full on M&M's and Doritos from the party, I was having a hard time getting excited for this dish. Even the thought of taste testing it made me feel ill. I worried it would just suck, since I didn't even want to taste it. But, it turned out nicely, and David quite enjoyed it. Vincent thought it was too spicy (but it wasn't "hot"). He ate leftover orzo salad & hummus from lunch.

TWO MORE DAYS TO GO!

No comments: