Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Hunts - Days 24, 25, & 26

Day 24 - Roasted Acorn Squash & Apple Soup with Whole Wheat English Muffin Open-faced Sandwiches
I took the whole roasted chicken from the other night & removed all the meat off the bones. I then took the bones and made a light broth. I roasted the squash and the apples (peeled) in the oven for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees F. I pureed the cooked squash and apple in the broth, adjusted the seasoning, and we had soup for dinner!

My little English muffin sandwiches were slices of the roasted chicken, cooked red onions, and a little gruyere cheese.

Day 25 - Bangers and Mash

Truthfully, we skipped a day this week. Day 25 should've been on Halloween. But, because it was Halloween, and we had plans to take Vincent out trick or treating, I told David that I we were going to skip cooking for the night and order pizza. Hot Mama's Pizza, to be exact!

So, for our Day 25, a day later, we had bangers and mash. David has been planning this for a week. He ordered German sausages from Thundering Hooves last week, and they arrived that day. His mash potatoes included pureed celeriac & were made with yukon potatoes. It was so delicious! Um, I didn't have any beer.

I also made another rustic onion tart, but I added sliced chicken and a sliced (homegrown) San Marzano (Roma) tomato. We didn't actually end up having that for dinner, but have had it around to snack on.

Day 26 - Pasta shells with leftover smothered pork & sauteed spinach - exactly as that sounds. I cooked pasta, reheated the pork, and sauteed spinach. Then, I tossed them all together! We had a simple salad on the side.

*I'm curious to see how the last 4 days of cooking will turn out. As of now, I have nothing planned. My friend, Joseph, who is now the Executive Chef of Boston's swanky Liberty Hotel, is in town. He's coming over to cook with me tomorrow afternoon. I'm excited! We haven't cooked together in over two years, when he left Seattle for other endeavers, and I was 6 months pregnant with Vincent. I've pulled out some lamb chops from the freezer, just in case.

No comments: