Saturday, September 27, 2008

Getting Prepared

I can't believe October 1st is in just a few days. We were at Costco this morning, & they had their Christmas stuff out! Actually, I was at Macy's downtown this week, and there was a section closed off downstairs, and it looked like they were getting ready to do their holiday window displays. Yikes!

But, there are two things to look forward to this October...Halloween & my 30 day dinner challenge. I'm actually a little nervous. But, I've been doing a little planning (um, mostly just on paper)...

-I have a small batch of pate brisee (tart/pie dough) ready in the freezer.
-I've placed my meat order with Thundering Hooves - it's a big one! There's ground beef, ground pork, beef hanging tenders, pork chops, a whole chicken, and a couple of braising meats.
-I have a list of basic staples we may need: noodles, rice, beans, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, shallots, red & white wines for cooking, and stocks. I'm sure I'm missing something.
-I've gone through one cookbook (Zuni Cafe), so far, to bookmark some recipes that I may like to try out this month.
-I bought a pastry cutter & a squeeze bottle today? Why? I don't know, just thought I might need them. This challenge is a good excuse for me to buy new kitchen do dads.

Tell me some of the things you are doing to prepare. It might help me out!

No comments: