Tuesday, September 16, 2008

tomato confit!


















I’ve been trying to make my weekly meal plan for about 3 days now. Luckily the wall street journal had some inspiration for me. They had a large spread on tomatoes in this past weekend’s journal. Hey, we have tomatoes!

‘Tis the time of year for delicious things from my very small garden. Actually, my garden is quite large, but we only grow a few things. I decided to make a tomato confit and serve it atop BBQ chicken thighs. Jayson will BBQ, so that minimizes my work. I mixed together quinoa, fresh steamed corn, black beans, avocado and a little olive oil ("recipe" compliments of my sister). I put down a bed of greens, spoon the quinoa salad atop that, put down a thigh and spoon the confit on that for a piled high colorful dinner plate.





The confit has fresh herbs from my garden: rosemary, thyme and basil. i halved and cored a bunch of roma tomatoes and layed those, cut side down, on top of the herbs. an entire head of smashed garlic cloves go in between the tomatoes. pour on 3/4 cup olive oil, sea salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. roast for 1 hour. when it's done roasting, peel the tomato skins.


The whole house smells divine.

No comments: