Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Pappa al Pomodoro - Part 2 + Beef Pot Pie


I ended up buying a loaf of La Brea Bakery Italian bread at the store. It was more crumbly than I thought it would be. Should've gone for the ciabatta! I put my broken up pieces in the oven, tossed with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper, then added it to the soup. I question how much I really like the whole bread in the soup thing. I wonder if I would've enjoyed a more chewy bread that was actually day-old. All-in-all, it was quite tasty.

The tomatoes I used were a mix of San Marzano roma, Black Beauty (or was it Black Prince?), and sun gold and cherry. All were from our garden, except the cherry tomatoes. Rather than leaving the skins on some of the larger tomatoes like the recipe said, I kept the skins on the small ones & cut them into quarters. The soup was so super sweet. I didn't need to add any sugar.

That little knug of pastry sitting on the bowl was just some leftover puff pastry from the pot pie I made (below) to go with dinner.
This is a beef pot pie made from leftover pot roast from a couple of nights ago. I also had some sauteed kale that I mixed into the pie, along with the potatoes and carrots from the pot roast. This turned out so well. The small amount of pot pie was just right as an addition to the soup.

No comments: