Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Hunts - Day 10 & An Interesting Article

After 3 days of bad napping, my son is taking an extra long nap today. This has afforded me the time to do a little catching up on kitchen prep work. I know there's still more I can do, but my pregnant body is tired of standing hunched over the prep table in the kitchen. But, you will be happy for me to know that dinner is on the stove. I'm making some sort of shepard's pie.

I made pot roast a couple weeks ago. After we had our fill of it, I broke up the meat, vaccum sealed it with some of the cooking liquid, and freezed it, with future shepard's pie in mind. I've made the mashed potato topping already, and now I'm just getting my meat & veggies part ready. We shall see...

In the meantime, I found this interesting article that I'd like to share. This makes me feel good about the way I feed my son. http://www.culinate.com/articles/first_person/teaching_kids_to_cook

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hey Anny- Cooking question: Do you have to vacuum seal cooked meat to freeze it? Or would I be OK with my Ziploc bags? Can you freeze any kind of meat, any preparation or do some do better than others? Oh, and I'm glad to hear your week is looking up. How much of a difference do those naps make?!

ayhunt said...

We received a Foodsaver last year for Christmas, so I vacuum seal because I can. I believe a ziplock bag is sufficient. I don't know if you can freeze any kind of meat, any preparation. I do know that for raw meat, once frozen & thawed, you don't want to refreeze because of freezer burn.