Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Hunts - Day 6 - Skillet!

Skillet is in our neighborhood tonight. They're setting up shop from 4:30pm til they "run out." David and I have yet to try any of their stuff. We had decided that IF I can make us a decent lunch, not ham sandwiches or cheese quesadillas, but something I would make for dinner, then we should be able to walk over to the Skillet truck and buy ourselves something to bring home and enjoy. We had tickets to Seattle Symphony's Tiny Tots this morning, and didn't know if we'd make it home in time for me to make lunch. I was planning on making chili. We said that if I could get it made and on the table, then we'd have Skillet. If I couldn't, then we would miss out on Skillet and wait for another oppportunity.

Delicious, hot chili made it to the table today at 12:05pm! Doh! I forgot to put the corn bread in the oven in time! But, we had it with saltines, and the corn bread was done soon after, which we all enjoyed as an afternoon snack.

I'm going to walk over to Skillet in about 15 minutes and place our order! Looking forward to it.

As for the chili, I feel like everyone has some version they like. I won't post a recipe. My chili is never the same each time. Today's was quite exciting, as it ended up being sort of a "kitchen sink" chili. Things I added include one turnip, a cup of homemade apple sauce, and a bit of jarred salsa. Gosh, just those three things together sound pretty awful. But, when it's cooked with 2 pounds of ground beef, some herbs, some spices, garlic, carrots, onions, celery, fresh tomatoes, beans, and a whole lot of love, it's actually quite yummy.

No comments: