Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Hunts - Day 7


We've made it through our first week! Yippie! Tonight's dinner was a creamy mushroom & yellow squash pasta with roasted chioggia beets on the side. YUM!

What helped the mushroom sauce was the mushroom "liquor". What is that??? A term I learned in culinary school, it's basically the liquid you get from reconstituting dried mushrooms. I took that liquid and reduced it by half to intensify the mushroom flavor. I then took one pint of heavy whipping cream and reduced it (I believe) by half. Once both liquids were cooled, I combined them. I actually did this a couple days in advance. To finish the sauce, I sauteed mushrooms with garlic, added a little splash of marsala wine, then added the mushroom cream & seasoned with salt & pepper.

For the pasta, I sauteed diced yellow squash and tossed it with cooked whole wheat pasta & the mushroom sauce. Finish with chopped parsley & grated parmesan cheese.

For the roasted beets, I just cut them into 1/2" dice and tossed them with diced shallots, sliced scallions, extra virgin olive oil, banyuls vinegar, sea salt & pepper.

No comments: