Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Hunts - Day 3

More brown rice tonight...

Growing up, we always had a batch of white rice in the rice cooker pretty much at all times. It was like my mom had that thing going all day long. I'm sure she didn't, but she always had hot rice available for us. I want to do that for my family one day, but I have a sucky rice cooker and the nice ones are very spendy. So, I am finding myself making a small batch daily...even though we didn't finish the stuff from last night. There just wasn't quite enough leftover for dinner again tonight. Hey, at least I get to turn it into fried rice at some point this week!

On top of the rice, we had ground pork cooked with garlic, soy sauce, and sesame oil. On the side was green beans, tossed with rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. Pretty simple dinner. A bit on the oily side, but everyone enjoyed it. Vincent actually ate more green beans tonight than he ever has. I don't know if it was the texture, the flavor, or what. I'm not going to question him.

The ground pork is so simple. Heat the sesame oil in a pan, being careful not to let it get too hot as sesame oil has a low smoke point. Add two large cloves of garlic cut into large chunks. Add 1 pound of ground pork to the pan and let it brown a little while breaking it up. Once the meat is browned, add about 1/2 cup of soy sauce (or to your taste) and about a 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a gentle boil, lower heat to a simmer, and cover. You can cook this for a while, but pretty much as soon as the meat is fully cooked, you're done.

For the green beans, follow this link: http://ourfamilymeal.blogspot.com/2008/09/wild-mushroom-risotto-and-sesame-green.html

No comments: