Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Hunts - Day 14 & 15 - "Rescue Me" Quiche & "French" Night

Yes, we have actually been cooking at home still, even though I have slacked on the postings! So far we have missed just one day, and we are now halfway through our challenge today!

Here is what made it to the table the past few days:
*Day 11 - beet greens and onion panade
*Day 12 - fried eggrolls (we took as a potluck item to a farm party) & Red Baron French bread pizza (frozen; but when we got home from the party, we weren't that hungry, yet needed a little something)
*Day 13 - pork chops, sauteed kale with carrots & onions, steamed broccoli, green salad with lemon cucumber, fennel, extra-virgin olive oil, and banyuls vinegar. Easy marinade for the chops (also good for roasted chicken): white wine, Dijon mustard (can also add stone ground mustard), salt & pepper; adjust amounts as needed. I stuck the chops in a Ziplock bag, threw the marinade inside, shook it around, and let it sit in the fridge until ready to cook. Seared the pork chops with a little canola oil for 1-2 minutes on each side and put the whole pan (all stainless steel, no nonstick pans or rubber handles, please) in the oven at 375 F for 10-15 minutes. Tender, juicy, delicious.

*Day 14 - "Rescue Me" Quiche -
I locked myself & Vincent out of the house yesterday. It had just stopped hailing when I decided it was time to go grocery shopping. Since we were taking the car & going to park in a garage, not going to dilly dally, I decided we were okay without rain gear or diaper bag. And, apparently, I didn't think keys were necessary, either. DOH!!!

I called Jen, and she so kindly came to our rescue. We went to her house and cooked dinner together. It was a quiche. Here's the recipe: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/09/spinach-quiche-revisited/

Funny thing, the pate brisee it called for turns out to be the one I posted a couple weeks ago from Martha Stewart. How many moms does it take a make a quiche? In Jen's & my case, two. We will both admit to not being the best quiche cookers. But, together, even with two toddlers screaming at our heels & fighting over toys that they don't really want to play with, we succeeded. And, they were done just in time for David to pick us up. I haven't heard back from Jen if hers was as tasty as mine, but I'm assuming it was.

*Day 15 - Tonight's "French" night will consist of French dip and French onion soup. I even have a French baguette for our sandwiches. I'm actually going to put onions, cheese, & mushrooms on our sandwiches as well. I got these little soup crocks with handles from QFC last night, too, that I'm so excited to use! The soup is made (thank goodness for toddler naptime) & the sandwiches should be pretty quick to assemble this afternoon. I should go chop some garlic for the mushrooms...maybe grate some gruyere cheese...

1 comment:

jen said...

post the french onion soup recipe! some of my friends have requested it...